A finishing touch of sugar-coated sliced almonds gives this sweet berry-topped cake a tempting crunch. Get even more irresistible one-layer cake recipes in our One-Layer Cakes special issue!
Blackberry-Almond Upside-Down Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (224 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) almond extract
- 1½ cups (150 grams) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (150 grams) whole buttermilk
- 1⅓ cups (151 grams) sliced toasted almonds, divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1¼ cups (275 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 4 to 5 cups (680 to 850 grams) fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in ⅔ cup (75 grams) almonds.
- Pour ¼ cup (57 grams) melted butter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with ¾ cup (165 grams) brown sugar. Arrange enough blackberries in a single layer over brown sugar to completely cover bottom of pan. Pour batter over blackberries, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pan to release sides of cake; carefully invert onto a flat serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining ¼ cup (57 grams) melted butter, remaining ½ cup (110 grams) brown sugar, and remaining ⅔ cup (76 grams) almonds. Sprinkle over top of cake. Top with remaining blackberries. Serve warm or at room temperature.