Grilled cake? Oh yes. Lightly toasting slices of this browned butter-scented confection adds a sweet caramelized crunch to this Grilled Browned Butter Pound Cake with Berries.
Grilled Browned Butter Pound Cake with Berries
Makes 2 (9x5-inch) loaves
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) Browned Butter (recipe follows), room temperature
- 2½ cups (500 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 large eggs (300 grams)
- 3 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla extract, divided
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) almond extract
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole buttermilk
- 4 cups (680 grams) quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (170 grams) halved fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) fresh lemon juice
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 2 (9x5-inch) loaf pans with baking spray with flour. Line pans with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray pans again.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, Browned Butter, 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, blackberries, lemon juice, remaining ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar, and remaining teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Spray a cast-iron grill pan with cooking spray. Heat pan over medium heat.
- Slice pound cake into 8 portions. Cook until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Serve warm with berry mixture and ice cream.
Makes about ¾ cup
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature before using.