These meringue nests are both crispy and slightly chewy at the same time. They are the perfect vessel for ripe berries and take very little effort.
Meringue Nests with Berries
Makes 8 servings
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (0.5 gram) cream of tartar
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 cups assorted berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Increase mixer speed to high, and beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon (12 grams) at a time, until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue into eight mounds on prepared pans. Using the back of a spoon, shape meringue into nests, roughly 1 inch high and 4 inches wide.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn oven off, and leave meringues in oven with door closed overnight to dry out.
- Fill shells with assorted berries. Garnish with mint, if desired. Serve immediately.