This Apple Spice Cake is another beautiful variation of the Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake recipe. Find more variations on the 1-2-3-4 cake, here.
Apple Spice Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup (227 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups chopped and peeled McIntosh apple
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups (300 grams) cake flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon (0.5 gram) ground allspice
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon Frosting (recipe follows)
- Apple Cake Topping (recipe follows)
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and remaining 1 cup (227 grams) butter at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Fold in apples. Divide batter between prepared pans (smoothing tops if necessary).
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 28 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cinnamon Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Spoon Apple Cake Topping over top of cake.
Makes about 5 cups
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (2-pound) package (910 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- 8 to 9 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes. In another large bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon. Gradually add sugar mixture to butter, beating until smooth. Beat in enough milk to make frosting a spreadable consistency. Beat in vanilla.
Apple Cake Topping
Makes about 1¾ cups
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) unsalted butter
- 1½ cups chopped peeled McIntosh apple
- 1 cup prepared hot caramel sauce
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely; drain, discarding juices. Stir apples into caramel sauce.
I can’t wait to try this recipe.