“The key to a great chai is patience,” Asha Gomez insists. The essence of a good cup of chai depends in taking the time to infuse your milk and water with spice. For Asha, a touch of grated nutmeg in your cup of chai is optional, “but oh so decadent.”
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 4/5 pods of cardamom freshly crushed in a pestle
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons of black Assam tea
- Heat your milk and water on a low, low flame with your spices, and let it simmer for a good 15 minutes until you can smell the aroma of the spice permeating your kitchen. At this point drop your tea in and let it seep for 4 minutes.
- Strain and serve your cup of chai.