Eggs are cooked directly on the dough during the final stages of baking to make this incredible brunch-ready focaccia.
Bacon and Egg Focaccia
Makes 1 (14x12-inch) loaf
- 1 recipe Basic Focaccia Loaf
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8 to 10 large eggs
- ¼ cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray.
- Turn out dough onto prepared pan. Using your fingertips, gently press dough into a 14x12-inch rectangle. Dimple the dough with your fingertips.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Using the back of a spoon, make 8 to 10 wells in dough. Sprinkle dough with bacon, and crack eggs into wells. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until eggs are just set and crust is golden, about 10 minutes more. Brush with oil. Just before serving, top with chives and sliced avocado.