We’re not sure if these muffins are breakfast or dessert, but we promise not to judge if you eat one (okay, three) of them hot out of the oven. (They’re THAT good).
Banana Chocolate Espresso Swirl Muffins
- 1 cup (170 grams) semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1½ tablespoons (27 grams) espresso powder
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) grated fresh nutmeg
- 1½ cups mashed banana
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (112 grams) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsulphered molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8 jumbo muffin cups with parchment or paper liners, or spray with cooking spray.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolate with espresso powder over simmering water. Remove from heat, and let cool. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, eggs, oil, buttermilk, molasses, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Spoon 1½ cups (330 grams) batter into a separate bowl, and stir in chocolate-espresso mixture.
- Spoon banana batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Using the back of a spoon, make a shallow trench in the middle of each muffin cup. Spoon in chocolate-espresso batter, and swirl with a wooden pick. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.