Your go-to banana bread recipe just got a major upgrade! This fluffy cake has the delicious texture you’ve been searching for and is topped with a thick layer of addictive Nutella frosting.
Banana Hazelnut Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (227 grams) mashed banana
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract, divided
- 1⅔ cups (208 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 grams) baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup (256 grams) Nutella
- ½ cup (112 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; line pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1⁄2 cup (113 grams) butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add mashed banana, buttermilk, eggs, and 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1⁄2 teaspoon (1.5 grams) salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in two additions, beating until combined. Fold in chopped hazelnuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat Nutella, cream cheese, and remaining 1⁄4 cup (57 grams) butter at medium speed until creamy and no lumps remain, about 2 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add confectioners’ sugar, ½ cup (60 grams) at a time, beating until well combined and stopping to scrape sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Beat in remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Add cream, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds. Spread frosting onto cooled cake. Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.