Cream cheese, chunks of mashed banana, and a splash of gold rum lend a mellow bite to this lightly boozy Banana Rum Coffee Cake. For more twists on rum cake, pick up a copy of our May/June 2019 issue!
Banana Rum Coffee Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 8 ounces (225 grams) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (275 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) gold rum
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (171 grams) mashed banana
- Pecan Streusel (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9-inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until combined. Add brown sugar, and beat until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well. Beat in gold rum.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to cream cheese mixture alternately with mashed banana, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Top with Pecan Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes, loosely covering with foil during last 15 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes about 1¼ cups
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) gold rum
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped pecans
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter and gold rum, and using your fingertips, mix until crumbly and desired consistency is reached. Mix in pecans. Refrigerate until ready to use.
I love this recipes.
Very Good I only had enough golden rum for the cake So I used dark rum in the streusel topping I think I would use all dark next time as the rum flavor was stronger in the streusel