Sometimes, unexpected combinations just work. Fresh basil, pine nuts, and black pepper give this Basil and Pine nut Strawberry Tart a savory twist.
Basil and Pine Nut Strawberry Tart
Makes 1 (9-inch) tart
- 6 tablespoons (84 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground black pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (141 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (57 grams) ground pine nuts
- Basil Pastry Cream (recipe follows)
- Halved fresh strawberries
- Spray a 9x1-inch removeable-bottom round tart pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, vanilla, salt, and pepper at medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add flour and pine nuts, and beat at low speed until mixture is crumbly. Transfer mixture to prepared pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Use a fork to prick bottom of tart shell. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights. Bake until edges are set, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Spoon Basil Pastry Cream into prepared crust, and spread to edges. Top with strawberries.
Basil Pastry Cream
Makes about 2 cups
- 1½ cup (360 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole milk
- ½ cup (16 grams) chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) fennel seeds
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 2 large egg yolks (37.2 grams)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (83 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4½ tablespoons (36 grams) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream, milk, basil, and fennel seeds to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain cream mixture, gently pressing on solids. Return mixture to pan, and return to a boil over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolk, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Gradually add milk mixture to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to pan, and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Pourmixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, discarding solids. Stir in butter until melted. Cover surface of cream directly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.