This Black and Blue Crostata looks so refined but is remarkably simple to execute. Make the pastry dough a day or two ahead of time to make the process even easier. This recipe uses our Quick Blackberry-Blueberry Jam.
Black and Blue Crostata
Makes 1 (9-inch) tart
- 1⅓ cups (167 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup Quick Blackberry-Blueberry Jam (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup fresh blackberries
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) turbinado sugar
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, and salt; pulse until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until dough comes together.
- Shape dough into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For filling: Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper, and sprinkle with granulated sugar; roll dough into a 12-inch circle on prepared pan. Spoon Quick Blackberry-Blueberry Jam into center of circle, leaving a 2-inch border. Top with blackberries and blueberries. Fold up pastry around berries. Brush edges of dough with beaten egg, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.