With an indulgent chocolate bottom, this deep-dish twist on coconut cream pie is a coconut tour de force. Find this recipe and more tastes of the tropics in our May/June 2019 issue.
Black Bottom Coconut Pie
Serves: 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie
- 8 ounces (225 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can (396 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) full-fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup (180 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) coconut extract
- 1 cup (60 grams) sweetened shredded coconut
- Ganache (recipe follows)
- Coconut Shortbread Crust (recipe follows)
- Coconut Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese at medium-high speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add condensed milk and coconut milk, beating until smooth. Transfer cream cheese mixture to a large bowl; set aside.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat cream and coconut extract at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Add one-third of whipped cream to cream cheese mixture, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in remaining whipped cream. Fold in coconut.
- Pour prepared Ganache into bottom of prepared Coconut Shortbread Crust. Freeze until set, about 5 minutes. Spoon coconut cream mixture over Ganache until coconut cream is even with top of crust. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Let pie stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. Top with Coconut Whipped Cream. Garnish with coconut, if desired.
Coconut Shortbread Crust
Serves: 1 (9-inch) deep-dish crust
- 2 ¾ cups (303 grams) vanilla shortbread cookie crumbs
- ½ cup (36 grams) toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients. Firmly press mixture into bottom and completely up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish.
- Bake until edges are golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely.
Serves: 1 cup
- ⅔ cup (113 grams) chopped 60% cacao dark chocolate
- ½ cup (120 grams) heavy whipping cream
- Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to a simmer over medium-low heat. Pour hot cream over chocolate; let stand for 30 seconds. Starting in center of bowl, slowly stir with a rubber spatula until fully combined. Use immediately.