Chocoholics and cheesecake lovers, unite! Our Black Cocoa Brownies are already rich and decadent on their own, but we’ve given them a little cheesecake update. These fudgy brownies are swirled with a luscious layer of cheesecake filling so you get plenty of creamy and tangy cheesecake in each bite.
Black Cocoa Cheesecake Brownies
Makes 12 brownies
- 2⅓ cups (397 grams) 63% cacao extra-dark chocolate chips*
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (64 grams) black cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 5 large eggs (250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract
- Cheesecake Layer (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate chips and butter. Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Let chocolate mixture cool slightly. Add sugars, whisking until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, black cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk eggs. Add half of beaten eggs to chocolate mixture, whisking until combined. Add remaining beaten eggs, whisking until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Fold in flour mixture just until combined. Spread two-thirds of batter into prepared pan. Spoon Cheesecake Layer on top of batter in pan, and smooth with an offset spatula. Dollop remaining batter on top of Cheesecake Layer. Using a wooden pick, swirl batter and Cheesecake Layer together.
- Bake until edges are set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in Cheesecake Layer registers 175°F (79°C) to 180°F (82°C), 50 to 55 minutes, covering with foil after 20 minutes of baking. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, trim edges, if desired, and cut into bars.
*We used Guittard Extra Dark Chocolate Baking Chips.
- 16 ounces (454 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract*
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and flour, and beat until combined, stopping to scrapes sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Use immediately.
*We used Heilala Pure Vanilla Extract.
[…] brownies from Mike’s upcoming cookbook, Even Better Brownies. Brian will also bake his popular Cocoa and Cream Cheese Brownies, which incorporate orange food coloring in the cream cheese filling so it looks like a spider […]
Made these brownies this weekend and they were wonderful! Rich, dark chocolate flavor with the tangy cream cheese baked to perfection! Easy recipe to put together and baking process was easy. Directions are easy to follow. Will be making these again! Thank you!