As New York City’s answer to the Oreo, this cake-like cookie inspires pure joy. It’s divided with chocolate and vanilla fondant, each flavor occupying exactly half of the cookie top.
Black and White Cookie
Write a review
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups (333 grams) granulated sugar
- 2large eggs
- 3 1/3 cups (417 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 12 cups (1,440 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 9 cups (1,080 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 3 cups (255 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For cookies: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, combine milk and extracts. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Place dough in a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 2A round tip. Using even pressure, pipe 2½-inch rounds 1½ inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks.
- For vanilla glaze: Place wire racks on top of rimmed baking sheets. Transfer cookies to racks. In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla. Spoon glaze over cookies, and lightly tap racks to remove any excess glaze.
- For chocolate glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and milk. Place chocolate glaze in a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 2A round tip. Pipe chocolate glaze over half of each cookie, and lightly tap racks to remove any excess glaze. Let set for 5 minutes.
Bake from Scratch https://www.bakefromscratch.com/