Pairing tangy citrus with nutty brown butter, this glaze adds a little extra zest to a bakery standard. Be sure to glaze the doughnuts while they’re still warm to let the flavor soak in.
Browned Butter Doughnuts with Orange-Browned Butter Glaze
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (141 grams) unsalted butter
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon warm whole milk (105°F to 110°F)
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) active dry yeast
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 3¼ cups (406 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Orange Browned Butter Glaze (recipe follows)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, beat milk, sugar, yeast, and salt at low speed just until combined. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes. Add 1 cup (125 grams) flour, and beat at low speed until combined. Add eggs, beating until combined. Add ½ cup (63 grams) flour, beating until combined. Gradually add brown butter, beating until combined. Add remaining 1¾ cups (219 grams) flour, beating until combined (dough will be sticky). Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat for 6 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch doughnut cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place doughnuts on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F) until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Place a wire rack over several layers of paper towels. In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°F.
- Carefully add doughnuts to hot oil, 2 or 3 at a time, and fry until golden brown, turning once, about 3 minutes. Let drain on prepared rack. While doughnuts are still warm, dip in Orange Browned Butter Glaze. Serve immediately.
Orange Browned Butter Glaze
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup Browned Butter Glaze (recipe follows)
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and zest; whisk in juice until mixture is smooth. Whisk in Browned Butter Glaze until smooth.
Browned Butter Glaze
Makes 2 cups
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) all-purpose flour
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter and vanilla bean and reserved seeds over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and discard vanilla bean.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, and flour. To sugar mixture, add hot browned butter in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Let mixture cool to room temperature; whisk once more. Transfer mixture to an airtight container, and refrigerate until cold. Extra glaze can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.