Nutty browned butter and orange liqueur add an amazing depth of flavor to this ultra-moist skillet cake. Make sure the candied orange slices are completely dry before arranging on top to avoid crossing the line between perfectly moist and unpleasantly soggy. Get our One-Layer Cakes Special Issue for more recipes!
Browned Butter and Orange Skillet Cake
Makes 1 (12-inch) cake
- ½ cup (113 grams) Browned Butter, softened
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) orange extract
- 4 large eggs (200 grams)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup (60 grams) fresh orange juice
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking power
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- Candied Orange Slices (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup (80 grams) apple jelly
- ¼ cup (60 grams) orange liqueur*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat Browned Butter, brown sugar, and extracts at medium speed until flu y, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange zest and juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared skillet, smoothing top with an o set spatula. Arrange Candied Orange Slices over batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, stir together apple jelly and orange liqueur. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth. Brush over cake and oranges. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
*We used Grand Marnier.
Candied Orange Slices
Makes about 16
- 2 navel oranges (262 grams), cut into 1⁄8-inch-thick slices
- 3 cups (720 grams) cold water, divided
- 1¾ cups (350 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 250°F (130°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; top with a wire rack.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, bring orange slices and 2 cups (480 grams) cold water to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, without stirring, for 6 minutes; drain.
- Return orange slices to skillet. Sprinkle with 1 cup (200 grams) sugar. Pour remaining 1 cup (240 grams) cold water over sugar, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat; cook for 15 minutes. Carefully remove orange slices from sugar water; arrange in a single layer on prepared rack.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Place remaining ¾ cup (150 grams) sugar in a shallow dish. Dredge orange slices in sugar, turning to coat both sides. Return to rack; let dry for at least 2 hours.