With finely chopped leeks and red bell pepper, these Cheesy Leek-and-Chive Soufflés bake up incredibly light and fluffy. Perfect for any meal, from breakfast to a dinner party, a lofty soufflé makes a stunning presentation—and the best part? Making the French classic soufflé has never been easier! Using the SHARP® SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS) makes this process fail-proof, as the gentle power of steam ensures you don’t overcook your egg-leavened base.
What does it mean to bake with steam? When baking a soufflé, steam that is injected into the oven creates moist heat. This allows the soufflé to rise up to record heights while keeping that extra-light texture on the inside. Initially, steam keeps the surface of the egg base hydrated for a longer period of time, allowing for the beautiful rise that you associate with this egg-laden treat. After the soufflés have reached their peaks, Sharp’s SuperSteam technology switches to a dry bake, setting the top and offering a gorgeously golden crest. Another major benefit? This technology is also time-saving—reducing the time it takes to bake these by up to 18 minutes compared to conventional ovens.
But soufflés aren’t the only baked goods that benefit from a steam-powered oven. The SHARP® SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven is technically three ovens in one: it combines cooking with steam (212°F), superheated steam (485°F), and traditional convection, which circulates heat with fans. Each preprogrammed setting gives you more options to master home-baked sweet treats. It’s like having all the advantages of bakery-style ovens (and more) right at home.
Steam Bake Bread Mode is what you want for crusty bakery-style breads. The purpose of steam for breads such as the traditional French baguette is to hydrate starch molecules, allowing the bread to rise before setting the crust. The result is an interior with those iconic air pockets and a crisp, unbelievably chewy crust. And that beautiful exterior sheen? Also thanks to steam. This means you can put away your spray bottles, ice, and cast-iron pans. The Steam Bake Bread Mode can help you get that same crust, only faster, and it’s just at the touch of a button.
You already know that the Steam Water Bath Mode is a dream for your soufflés, but it’s also the secret to creating irresistible baked custards, from pots de crème to crème brûlée. Want flawless cheesecakes, perfectly creamy and free of cracks? Trade the water bath for the Water Bath Mode. The Water Bath feature is a virtual bain-marie—and there is no balancing of pans of heavy water. If you are just looking for an even bake, Convection Bake Mode is the traditional convection oven setting, taking care of the rest of your baking needs, from cookies to cakes, and all of your cooking needs, too.
With the perfect results you’ll get from SHARP® SuperSteam+™ Built-In Wall Oven, it’s likely you’ll get the urge to share pictures of your creations with others. For this, the engineers at Sharp added the perfect touch. The bright Stage Lighting casts overhead light that makes it easy to snap a photo with your phone and share your creations! And while you have your phone out, did you know that with Sharp SuperSteam+ App you can even preheat your oven remotely? It’s perfect for the busy baker. The app will send push notifications to your mobile device to let you know when your oven has finished preheating and when your food is ready.
So, whether you are designing your dream kitchen or are looking for an upgrade, keep the Sharp SuperSteam+™ Built-in Oven in mind and get the power of steam at your fingertips. Besides the five high-performance cooking modes including Steam, Steam Bake, Convection Bake, Super Steam Grill, and Super Steam Roast, it also offers a sleek design and can be installed in a wall, under the counter, or kitchen island with no additional trim kit needed. Oh, and did we mention there is no wet-wall installation or water line required? That means an easy install with no additional requirements—so, what are you waiting for?!
Don’t forget to check out the Simply Better Living blog by Sharp website for more ideas and recipes. Want to win a Smart Microwave (SMC1449FS) that offers hands-free cooking with more than 70 Alexa voice commands? Don’t miss out on our giveaway happening on Instagram! The giveaway closes on May 12 at 10:50 p.m. ET, so enter while you can!
- 4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, divided
- Finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup (140 grams) very finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup (90 grams) very finely chopped leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 3½ tablespoons (28 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole milk, room temperature
- 3 ounces (85 grams) shredded Havarti cheese (about ¾ cup)
- ¼ cup (12 grams) plus 2 teaspoons (2 grams) finely chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1¾ teaspoons (5.25 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) garlic powder
- 4 large egg yolks (74 grams), room temperature
- 5 large egg whites (150 grams), room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) cream of tartar
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat 1 tablespoon (14 grams) butter on high in 10-second intervals until melted.
- Brush insides of 6 (9.5-ounce or 10-ounce) ramekins with melted butter; coat with Parmesan (if using), shaking out excess. (Alternatively, coat insides with flour, shaking out excess.) Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large, high-sided saucepan, melt remaining 3 tablespoons (42 grams) butter over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and leeks; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent excess browning. Reserve 1½ tablespoons (20 grams) vegetable mixture in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle flour over remaining vegetable mixture in pan; cook, stirring constantly,
- for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk until well combined; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary. Remove from heat; gradually stir in Havarti until melted and well combined. Stir in ¼ cup (12 grams) chives, salt, mustard, and garlic powder. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; gradually whisk in egg yolks.
- Set SHARP® SuperSteam+TM Built-In Wall Oven (SSC2489DS) to Manual/ Steam Bake/Water Bath/300°F/22 minutes/Start. (Oven will preheat.)
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir one-third of egg white mixture into vegetable mixture; fold in remaining egg white mixture in two additions until combined.
- Place prepared ramekins on 1 tray; evenly divide batter among prepared ramekins, gently smoothing into an even layer with a small offset spatula. Sprinkle tops with reserved vegetable mixture and remaining 2 teaspoons (2 grams) chives. Place tray on lower level of oven. Press Start.
- Bake for 22 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
2. Prepare ramekins and soufflés as directed. 3. Place filled ramekins in a large roasting pan or ovenproof baking dish with high sides; carefully pour enough boiling water into pan until it comes halfway up sides of ramekins.
3. Bake until puffed and golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.