This is a sophisticated cake full of cheer by Zoë François of Zoë Bakes. It’s a celebration of Ireland’s love of chocolate and spirits.
Chocolate Guinness Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (43 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole buttermilk
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) vegetable oil 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (180 grams) Guinness or stout
- White Knight Frosting (recipe follows)
- Whipped Cream Topping (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Dutch process cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a tall-sided 8-inch round cake pan; line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until well combined. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and whisk until smooth. Slowly add Guinness, whisking until fully combined and smooth. (Batter will be quite thin.) Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- Remove cake from pan, and place on a serving platter. Top with White Knight Frosting. Spread Whipped Cream Topping onto frosting in a smooth layer. Place a clover stencil on topping, and garnish with cocoa, if desired. Using a warm offset spatula, smooth sides of cake.
White Knight Frosting
- ⅓ cup (57 grams) finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) Irish whiskey
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
- In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate, cream, and whiskey. Cook over simmering water until chocolate is melted. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, and cocoa at medium speed until smooth. Add cooled chocolate mixture, and beat until combined and smooth, stopping to scrapes sides of bowl. Use immediately.
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup (240 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) crème fraîche*
- 1 tablespoon (7 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) Irish whiskey*
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat all ingredients at medium speed until medium-stiff peaks form.