This classic recipe is a little slice of food writer Jake Cohen’s nostalgic past. It’s his mother’s almond-filled chocolate cake, a treat he’d often enjoy on special occasions, from birthdays to holidays. Pick up our November/December 2018 issue to see how Jake pays homage and updates his mother’s recipe by bringing a modern, nutty twist to this Bundt!
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box (432 grams) devil’s food cake mix*
- 1¼ cups (300 grams) water
- ½ cup (112 grams) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 1 (12.5-ounce) can (354 grams) almond cake and pastry filling
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 10-cup Bundt pan*.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cake mix, 1¼ cups (300 grams) water, oil, and eggs at medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Stir in almond filling. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until risen and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.