Shiran Dickman (@shiran_dickman) of the playful desserts-centric blog Pretty. Simple. Sweet. shares one of her favorite chocolate-filled cookies. Coated with pecans and filled with soft caramel, these festive chocolate cookies are a popular treat during the holidays, and well, any day in our book. For more delicious recipes, order the Holiday Cookies Special Issue co-produced with feedfeed.
Chocolate Turtle Cookies
Makes about 24
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams), separated
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (43 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) whole milk
- 1 cup (113 grams) pecans, finely chopped
- Thick Caramel Sauce (recipe below)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Beat in milk. (Batter will be thick and sticky.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place egg white in a small bowl. Place pecans in another small bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll dough balls in egg white, letting excess drip off. Roll in pecans to coat, and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Using your thumb or the back of a spoon, gently make an indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake until edges are set and center is slightly soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Fill centers of cookies with Thick Caramel Sauce. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Thick Caramel Sauce
Makes about 1 cup
- 14 caramel candies (about 4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) heavy whipping cream
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine caramels and cream. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted (about 2 minutes total).