Looking for classic cinnamon roll flavor without the hassle of yeasted dough? These Cinnamon Roll Cookies might just be your new best friend. Soft in the center but with slightly crisp edges, these cookies get their mesmerizing swirl from the same base dough divided in half. The first half of the dough lets the flavor of Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract shine, while the other half is warmly spiced with Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg. As the dough bakes and the kitchen fills with the aroma of sweet spices and buttery richness, the line between cookie and cinnamon roll may begin to blur. The finishing touch? A drizzle of a simple, sweet Glaze to tie it all together. We don’t usually condone cookies for breakfast, but with a treat this lovely and sweet, we wouldn’t blame you.
For beautifully spiced and scented cookies, Simply Organic was the clear choice. The vanilla extract that scents and flavors these cookies is made with only authentic, high-quality, and organically grown vanilla beans handpicked by farmer co-ops in Madagascar. Unlike imitation vanilla, which contains only one flavor compound, real vanilla from Simply Organic contains more than 250 flavor and aroma compounds. When you bake with Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract, you’re baking with a vanilla unmatched in depth and flavor. Also, you can’t forget the Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg that add an alluring and aromatic warmth to these cookies. Both spices are certified organic, thoughtfully sourced, and minimally processed, making Simply Organic spices the highest-quality spices you’ll find on the market.
To learn more about Simply Organic’s best practices and unmatched quality, visit simplyorganic.com and start baking today!
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- 3¼ cups (406 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) Simply Organic Ground Nutmeg
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg and vanilla, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until a dough forms. Turn out two-thirds of dough (about 598 grams) onto a clean surface, and knead dough if any flour bits remain. Shape into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg to remaining dough. Beat at low speed until combined. Turn out onto a clean surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Let doughs stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes. On a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, roll plain dough into a 14x12-inch rectangle. Transfer dough on parchment to a baking sheet, and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat procedure with spiced dough.
- Transfer plain dough on parchment to a flat surface. Carefully invert spiced dough on top of plain dough. Between sheets of parchment, roll over doughs a few times to press together. Peel away top sheet of parchment. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log, using bottom sheet of parchment to help lift and roll and rolling as tightly as possible to avoid gaps. (If dough cracks, let stand for a few minutes until pliable). Trim ½ inch off each end. Tightly wrap in parchment, twisting ends to seal. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or freeze until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut log into ¼-inch-thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on pans. Drizzle with Glaze.
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2½ tablespoons (37.5 grams) whole milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Use immediately.
Rolling Your Dough
Measuring and Scoring Your Dough to Cut
Slicing Your Dough