Topped with an orange blossom honey meringue, these citrus tartlets is small in size and big in taste.
Makes 6 (3-inch) tarts
- Cornmeal Short Dough (recipe follows)
- 10 tablespoons (140 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2½ tablespoons (5 grams) orange zest
- ½ cup (120 grams) fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) fresh lime juice
- 4 large egg yolks (74 grams)
- 2 large egg whites (60 grams)
- ¼ cup (85 grams) orange blossom honey
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, divide Cornmeal Short Dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 5-inch circle. Transfer dough to 6 (3-inch) removable-bottom tart pans, pressing into bottom and up sides. Top each tart shell with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pans. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, bring butter, ⅓ cup (66.5 grams) sugar, orange zest and juice, and lime juice to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and remaining ⅓ cup (66.5 grams) sugar. In a slow, steady stream, add hot butter mixture to egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return yolk mixture to saucepan, and cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain filling into a small bowl. Divide filling among cooled tart shells. Cover and refrigerate until filling is cold, about 1½ hours.
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg whites, honey, and salt. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 140°F (60°C). Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form, 8 to 10 minutes. Pipe meringue over cooled tarts. Using a kitchen torch, brown meringue. Serve immediately.
Cornmeal Short Dough
Makes 6 (3-inch) tart shells
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks (56 grams)
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (110 grams) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (56 grams) yellow cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.