This creamy, tropical dessert makes use of unsweetened coconut milk in both the filling and the fluffy cloud of whipped topping. Find more recipes for pies and tarts in our 2017 Artisan Pies and Tarts Special issue, here!
Coconut Cream Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) whole buttermilk, chilled
- Coconut Filling (recipe follows)
- Coconut Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: toasted sweetened flaked coconut
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) at a time, until a dough forms. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough to ½ inch beyond edge of plate. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of plate. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Let cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack.
- Spoon warm Coconut Filling into prepared crust. Let cool for 10 minutes. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto surface of filling. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. Top with Coconut Whipped Cream, and garnish with coconut, if desired.
Makes about 4 cups
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons (24 grams) cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole milk
- 1 cup (240 grams) unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 large egg yolks (74 grams)
- 1 cup (50 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; whisk in milk, coconut milk, and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in coconut and vanilla. Use immediately.
Coconut Whipped Cream
Makes about 3 cups
- 1½ cups (360 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons (72 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 grams) unsweetened coconut milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cream and sugar at high speed until soft peaks form. Add coconut milk, beating until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute.