We love the tiny flecks of red and the slight tart flavor that cranberries add to these bright Cranberry Pistachio Scones.
Cranberry Pistachio Scones with Orange Glaze
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1 orange, zested and juice reserved for Orange Glaze
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (113 grams) roughly chopped roasted pistachios
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- Orange Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons reserved orange juice
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For scones: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl, and fold in pistachios, cranberries, and 1 cup cream, stirring until combined. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly, just until dough comes together. Press dough into prepared cake pan. Turn out, and using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon cream. Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 17 minutes.
- For orange glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and reserved orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm scones.