Fresh baby spinach and an aromatic cheesy crust prove a winning combination in our Creamy Spinach Galette. And, if you’re looking for more shareable treats perfect for the holidays, be sure to check out our “Movable Feast” feature in our November/December 2021 issue.
Creamy Spinach Galette
Makes 1 (10-inch) galette
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic (9 grams), minced
- 4 cups (135 grams) roughly chopped fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup (120 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- Cheesy Crust (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- Garnish: crushed red pepper, freshly grated Gouda
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach in batches, and cook, stirring frequently, until almost wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream, flour, and salt, and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Cheesy Piecrust into a 12-inch circle (about ¼ inch thick). Trim ¼ inch off edges, if desired. Transfer to prepared pan. Using a fork, pierce dough in ½-inch intervals. Spoon spinach mixture onto center of dough, and spread into an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border around edges. Fold edges over spinach mixture in 2-inch sections, overlapping, and pinch to seal any gaps. Using a pastry brush, brush edges with egg.
- Bake until dry and slightly golden on edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Rotate pan, and reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Bake until crust is golden, 5 to 8 minutes more. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Garnish with red pepper and cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
Makes 1 (10-inch) crust
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup (57 grams) shredded Gouda cheese
- ½ cup (57 grams) shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (60 grams) ice water
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, salt, dry mustard, paprika, and pepper; pulse until combined. Add cold butter and cheeses; pulse until mixture is crumbly, about 5 pulses. With processor running, add 1⁄4 cup (60 grams) ice water, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) at a time, just until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
This is easy and delicious and reheats very well in an air fryer. The crust comes together very easily in a food processor.