Inspired by Gosling’s signature Dark ’n Stormy cocktail, we gave classic pound cake an island update by mixing dark rum and crystallized ginger into the batter. A luxurious soak in a rum-spiked glaze ensures that the sugar spirit permeates every bite.
Dark 'N Stormy Bundt Cake
Serves: Makes 1 (15-cup) Bundt cake
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2¾ cups (550 grams) granulated sugar
- 7 large eggs (350 grams), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (3 grams) lime zest
- 3½ cups (438 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole buttermilk
- ½ cup (120 grams) dark rum*
- ½ cup (88 grams) chopped crystallized ginger
- Dark Rum Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 6 to 7 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in zest.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and salt. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and dark rum. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in crystallized ginger.
- Spray a 15-cup Bundt pan* with baking spray with flour. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour. Loosely cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack, and let cool completely. Place wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet, and pour Dark Rum Glaze over cake. Let glaze dry before serving.
*We used Gosling’s Black Seal Rum and Nordic Ware Anniversary Pan.
Dark Rum Glaze
- 2¼ cups (270 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) dark rum
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and dark rum until smooth. Use immediately.