Platinum Yeast® from Red Star® helps these Feta Cheese Rolls achieve its superior fluffy rise, making it the perfect pillowy bed for the aromatic Feta Cheese Filling.
Feta Cheese Rolls
Makes 12 rolls
- 3¾ cups (469 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (8 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package (7 grams) Platinum® Yeast from Red Star®
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water, divided
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature and divided
- Feta Cheese Filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped fresh tarragon, chopped fresh thyme
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together 2 cups (250 grams) flour, sugar, yeast, and salt by hand.
- In a medium saucepan, heat ½ cup (120 grams) water, milk, and butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C). With mixer on medium speed and using the paddle attachment, pour warm milk mixture into flour mixture, beating until combined and cooled slightly, about 1 minute. Add 1 egg (50 grams), and beat at medium speed until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low, and gradually add 1¾ cups (219 grams) flour, beating until a shaggy dough forms. Switch to the dough hook attachment, and beat at low speed until dough is smooth and elastic, 12 to 14 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon (8 grams) flour if dough is too sticky. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a smooth round.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. 5. Punch down dough, and let stand for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and divided into 12 portions (70 grams each). Shape each portion into a smooth ball; press flat, and roll into a 3-inch circle. Place 6 circles 3 inches apart on each prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, about 15 to 25 minutes. Press bottom of a 4-ounce glass Mason jar (2-inch diameter) dipped in flour into center of each circle. Press firmly to flatten center without tearing dough. Spoon 2 rounded tablespoons (about 36 grams) Feta Cheese Filling into center of each circle. (Do not overfill.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 egg (50 grams) and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Lightly brush dough with egg wash.
- Bake until light golden brown and an instant- read thermometer inserted in bread registers 190°F (88°C) to 200°F (190°C), 12 to 13 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with tarragon and thyme, if desired.
Feta Cheese Filling
Makes about 2 cups
- 1½ cups (204 grams) creamy feta cheese crumbles
- 6 ounces (170 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1½ tablespoons (21 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons (2.5 grams) chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 teaspoons (2.5 grams) chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat all ingredients at medium-low speed until well combined and creamy, about 1 minute.