Bubbly, bright, refreshing, and redolent of funky sugar cane, sweet strawberries, and mint, this cocktail is dangerous: You can drink quite a few of these if you don’t keep an eye on yourself! Essentially a sparkling strawberry mojito, this cocktail from our Drunk Bakers, Allison Kave and Keavy Landreth of Butter & Scotch, draws major inspiration from the neo-classic Old Cuban, which was created by Audrey Saunders of New York City’s cocktail haven, Pegu Club. We recommend this cocktail with a slice of Rhubarb Pistachio Pie!
Fresa De Cuba
Makes 1 serving
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 3 fresh strawberries, hulled and cored
- ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1½ ounces golden or amber rum
- 1 ounce Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- 2 ounces dry sparkling wine
- Garnish: strawberry slice, fresh mint sprig
- In a cocktail shaker, gently press mint leaves, strawberries, and lemon juice with a muddler or wooden spoon. Add rum, Simple Syrup, and a handful of ice. Cover and shake well to chill. Strain into a chilled coupe glass, and top with sparkling wine. Garnish with strawberry and mint, if desired.
Makes 1½ cups
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240 grams) boiling water
- Combine sugar and boiling water. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool completely. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.