Celebrating the juiciest summer stone fruit, these crumb bars boast a complementary vanilla flavor courtesy of Heilala Pure Vanilla Bean Paste in the buttery crust and topping and the dreamy Vanilla Bean Glaze. Heilala Pure Vanilla Paste is packed full of distinctive dark vanilla bean seeds, lending irresistible aromatics and flavor. With each slice revealing a jammy caramelized peach layer, this recipe is the handheld version of your favorite fresh fruit cobbler. Peaches not in season? Substitute frozen peaches and get your hands on these today.
Fresh Peach Crumb Bars
Makes 9 bars
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 ¼ teaspoons (7.5 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Bean Paste, divided
- 1 ¼ teaspoons (3 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1⅔ cups (208 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- ⅔ cup (62 grams) sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons (14 grams) tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cardamom
- 3 cups (478 grams) ¾- to 1-inch-chopped fresh peaches (3 to 4 medium peaches), divided
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) water Vanilla Bean Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat ⅔ cup (150 grams) butter on high in 10-second intervals until melted; whisk in ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla bean paste, and 1 teaspoon (3 grams) salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until combined. Reserve ⅔ cup (about 202 grams) dough in a small bowl; crumble, and add almonds, stirring until combined. Set aside. Press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until dough edges are lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, stir together tapioca flour, cardamom, remaining ⅓ cup (67 grams) sugar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Add 1 cup (160 grams) peaches, 2 teaspoons (10 grams) water, and remaining 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter; stir until well combined. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until small bubbles form around edges of pan and mixture is thickened, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 cups (318 grams) peaches and remaining ¼ teaspoon (1.5 grams) vanilla bean paste. Spread peach mixture evenly over prepared crust, pressing thickened liquid between peach pieces. Sprinkle reserved dough evenly on top.
- Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan. Using a serrated knife, cut into bars. Spoon Vanilla Bean Glaze into a small pastry bag, and cut a ¼-inch opening in tip; drizzle glaze onto cooled bars.
Vanilla Bean Glaze
Makes about ½ cup
- ⅔ cup (80 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons (37.5 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) Heilala Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth and well combined. Use immediately.