Traditionally given to children during Hanukkah, gelt are gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins, often adorned with the depiction of a menorah. In our Gelt Cookie Butter Blossom Cookies, we replaced the chocolate kiss with a chocolate gelt and added speculaas cookie butter to the dough. For a final touch of sparkle, we rolled the dough in blue and white sparkling sugars, two colors commonly associated with Hanukkah.
Gelt Cookie Butter Blossom Cookies
Makes 48 to 50 cookies
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (240 grams) speculaas cookie butter
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 31/2 cups (438 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder White sparkling sugar
- Blue sparkling sugar
- 48 to 50 unwrapped Hanukkah gelt milk chocolate coins
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in cookie butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined and stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- In a small bowl, place white sparkling sugar. In another small bowl, place blue sparkling sugar.
- Using a 11/2 -tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough (28 to 30 grams each), and roll into smooth 11/2 -inch balls. Roll in desired sparkling sugar until well coated. Place 2 to 21/2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake, one batch at a time, until bottom edges are lightly golden brown, 8 to
- minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Immediately press 1 unwrapped gelt into center of each cookie. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire racks.