These Ginger Cookies are wonderfully soft and heavy on the spice—the perfect juxtaposition to cool, creamy ice cream. Check out other favorite ice cream sandwich cookies and ice cream recipes here.
Ginger Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie
Makes about 24
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1 grams) ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon (1 grams) ground allspice
- ¼ cup (50 grams) turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, and molasses with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks and vanilla bean paste, beating until combined. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, salt, baking soda, cloves, and allspice. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each piece of dough between two sheets of parchment paper to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Remove top pieces of parchment paper, and transfer bottom pieces and dough onto baking sheets. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar just before baking, if desired.
- Bake until slightly puffed and just beginning to brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Using a 2½-inch fluted round cutter, cut rounds while still hot. Let cool on pans before separating rounds from scraps.