Mandy Dixon, head pastry chef at the Alaskan resorts Winterlake Lodge and Tutka Bay Lodge, shares her recipe for these luscious nut-filled tarts. Honey brings out the sweet nuttiness of almonds, walnuts, and cashews, while a dash of orange zest makes these tarts sing. If you’ve ever dreamed of Alaskan specialties like this surrounded by Alaska’s pristine landscape, our four-day baking retreat on August 21-24 is for you! Learn more about the trip and reserve your spot!
Honey and Nut Orange Tarts
Makes 2 (9-inch) tarts
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3½ cups (396 grams) chopped mixed nuts (walnuts, cashews, and almonds), divided
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, divided
- ⅔ cup (80 grams) confectioners’ sugar½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (170 grams) honey
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (3 grams) orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 2 (9-inch) removable-bottom fluted tart pans.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, 1 cup (113 grams) nuts, ¾ cup (170 grams) butter, and confectioners’ sugar; pulse until finely ground and mixture begins to come together. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pans.
- Bake until golden around the edges, 7 to 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar, honey, cream, zest, remaining 2½ cups (283 grams) nuts, and remaining ¾ cup (170 grams) butter to a boil over medium-high heat; boil for 1 minute. Pour hot mixture into prepared tart shells. Let set until firm, about 2 hours.