This berry cobbler brings in all the sweet, jammy flavors of summer, topped with a satisfyingly crispy shortbread crumble. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries all get an added hit of caramelly brown sugar and a kick of almond extract. To contrast the fruity, slightly tart filling of this cobbler, we add a buttery crumbled oat topping. It’s both rich and delicate, and it adds the perfect amount of crunch to the beautifully bubbling fruit filling. This berry-filled cobbler is minimal effort and maximum reward. The only thing missing? A heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream to top it all off.
To give this cobbler a modern yet timeless presentation, we used the Milo Ultimate Skillet. And this enameled cast-iron skillet delivers serious performance. It essentially offers the same heat distribution, even cooking, and durability as your standard cast-iron skillet but requires no seasoning or complicated care instructions. These skillets are designed for pros and newcomers alike because of their easy-to-wash, low-maintenance glassy enamel. Not to mention, every piece of Milo cookware comes with a lifetime guarantee. Compatible with induction cooktops and oven-safe up to 500℉ (260℃), this piece can smoothly transition from stovetop to oven to dining table. It’ll quickly become your new favorite vessel for cobblers, crumbles, rustic breads, and more.
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (165 grams) plus ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup (27 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) almond extract, divided
- ¼ cup (32 grams) cornstarch
- 3 cups (510 grams) ½-inch-sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cup (340 grams) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (170 grams) fresh raspberries
- 1 cup (170 grams) fresh blackberries
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, ⅓ cup (73 grams) brown sugar, oats, and salt until combined. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) almond extract. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornstarch, remaining ¾ cup (165 grams) brown sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon (2 grams) almond extract. Stir in strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries until well combined. Pour into a Milo 10-inch enamel-coated cast-iron skillet. Sprinkle flour mixture in large clumps all over fruit mixture.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.