Even if you don’t think you’re “a cookie person,” these cookies will prove you wrong. The cookie itself is well-balanced: slightly sweet, lightly salted, and chock-full of nuts. The jam center seals the deal. Each one is a bite of perfection. This recipe uses our Quick Strawberry Jam or use our Quick Blackberry-Blueberry Jam.
Nutty Thumbprint Cookies With Jam
Makes about 36
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) grated fresh nutmeg, divided
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Quick Strawberry Jam or Quick Blackberry-Blueberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine walnuts, pecans, ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) salt, and ½ teaspoon (1 gram) nutmeg. Pulse until combined and nuts are finely ground, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a small bowl, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium-high speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to medium, and add egg yolks and vanilla bean paste. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour, ¾ cup chopped nut mixture, remaining ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon (1 gram) nutmeg. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat just until mixture comes together, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in remaining nut mixture to coat, and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Using your thumb or the back of a spoon, gently make an indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake for 10 minutes; remove from oven, and press down centers again. Fill centers of cookies with desired jam. Return to oven, and bake until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes more. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
Turned out perfectly, although do take a bit of time.
Loved loved the final result! These cookies were really amazing! The work to get there was a bit ehh because of all the half work and time it takes but everyone loved them and they just melt into your mouth!