Sweet strawberries and a hint of cardamom balance the classic bright and nutty combination of orange and pistachio in this Orange and Pistachio Strawberry Tart.
Orange and Pistachio Strawberry Tart
Makes 1 (9-inch) tart
- 1⅓ cups (167 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (85 grams) roasted pistachios
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) orange blossom water
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- Orange Pastry Cream (recipe follows)
- 4 cups (680 grams) fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, pistachios, confectioners’ sugar, and salt until pistachios are ground into a meal. Add cold butter, and pulse until pea-size crumbs remain.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, orange blossom water, and zest. With processor running, add egg mixture in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Spray a 9x1-inch removeable-bottom round tart pan with baking spray with flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to prepared pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough. Use a fork to prick bottom of tart shell. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights. Bake until edges are set, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Spoon Orange Pastry Cream into prepared crust, and spread to edges. Top with strawberries before serving.
Orange Pastry Cream
Makes about 2 cups
- 1½ cup (360 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole milk
- 2 tablespoons (4 grams) orange zest
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) cardamom seeds
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (83 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4½ tablespoons (36 grams) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream, milk, zest, and cardamom seeds to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain cream mixture, gently pressing on solids. Return mixture to pan, and return to a boil over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolk, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Gradually add milk mixture to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to pan, and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, discarding solids. Stir in butter until melted. Cover surface of cream directly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Love, love, LOVE this recipe! The pastry cream is very flavorful and creamy. (It’s a dream!) The tart shell has nice color from pistachio. I will definitely repeat soon!