We opted for a creamy honey topping, a thicker version of honey that, unlike liquid honey, contains a crystalline structure that makes it ideal for spreading. Bonus points? The pastry’s 13×9-inch shape allows you to get extravagant with the portions.
Oversize Honey Ricotta Strudel
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- Fast Puff Pastry Dough
- Ricotta Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- ¼ cup (95 grams) creamy honey spread*
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of Fast Puff Pastry Dough into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Place a quarter rimmed (13x9-inch) sheet pan upside down in center of dough. Trim dough to ½ inch around all sides of pan. Place dough in sheet pan, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Fill with Ricotta Filling. Brush egg wash along inside edges of dough.
- Roll remaining dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle, and place on top of filling. Press dough along sides of pan to crimp.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely. Spread with honey spread, and sprinkle with pepper. Store wrapped in foil at room temperature for up to 2 days.
We used Natural American Foods Honey Original Creamy Spread.
Makes 1½ cups
- ¾ cup (169 grams) ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup (169 grams) cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup (90 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, cream cheese, and confectioners’ sugar. Use immediately.
This was a really nice, rich and decadent treat. I was a bit intimidated by the puff pastry part but it actually came out really great.
I used a 13×9 cake pan, so the sides of the pan were too tall. Such that crimping the edges was a bit of a challenge. Fortunately I was able to cut come strips from the left over dough and ‘glued’ them on with the egg and it came out delicious.
I was also skeptical of the black pepper but it was really wonderful. Bravo!