Why choose between brownies and blondies when you can have both? These blondie-topped brownies are packed with island flavor. Pick up a copy of our May/June 2019 issue for more twists on blondies!
Paradise Blondie Brownies
- Brownie layer:
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2½ cups (500 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs (250 grams), room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups (106 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- Blondie layer:
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups (440 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 1¼ teaspoons (5 grams) coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (67 grams) salted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped and divided
- ½ cup (28 grams) unsweetened coconut flakes*, lightly toasted and divided
- 4 ounces (113 grams) 64% cacao semisweet chocolate baking bars*, coarsely chopped and divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- For brownie layer: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat melted butter and sugars at medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan; using a small offset spatula, smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for blondie layer: Clean bowl of a stand mixer and whisk attachment; add melted butter and brown sugar, and beat at medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in ¼ cup (33.5 grams) macadamia nuts, ¼ cup (14 grams) coconut flakes, and 1 ounce (28 grams) chopped chocolate.
- Remove brownie layer from oven. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of blondie batter over top, spreading carefully with a small offset spatula. (Don’t worry if some brownie layer gets swirled in or peeks through.)
- Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 3 ounces (85 grams) chopped chocolate and remaining ¼ cup (33.5 grams) macadamia nuts, gently pressing to adhere. Tent with foil and bake until top is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 25 to 30 minutes more. Top with remaining ¼ cup (14 grams) coconut flakes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and cut into 12 brownies. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
PRO TIP: Be sure to measure out all your ingredients beforehand to make these blondie brownies with ease.