This peanut butter layer cake looks worthy of the bakery case, and it comes together so easily. Find more Marble Madness recipes in our September/October issue!
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Marble Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
- 1½ cups (330 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (128 grams) creamy peanut butter
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons (12.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- 1½ cups (360 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (113 grams) chopped 66% cacao dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, and peanut butter until combined and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, whisking just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, whisking just until combined after each addition. Transfer one-third of batter (about 2 cups [454 grams]) to a medium bowl; gently fold in melted chocolate until combined. Using a 2-tablespoon spring-loaded scoops, alternately scoop peanut butter and chocolate batters into prepared pans. (Each pan will get about 2 cups [about 453 grams] peanut butter batter and about 1 cup [about 283 grams] chocolate batter). Using a wooden pick or cake tester, swirl batters together. Gently tap pans on counter 2 to 3 times.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake stand. Spread 1½ cups (about 375 grams) Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting on top. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8-ounce) packages (454 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 4½ cups (540 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup (85 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium-low speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in vanilla and salt until combined.
- Sift together confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. With mixer on low speed, slowly add sugar mixture to cream cheese mixture, about ¾ cup (90 grams) at a time, beating until combined after each addition and stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until light in color and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.