Pear Brandy Pound Cake
Makes 1 (15-cup) Bundt cake
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2¾ cups (550 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 7 large eggs (350 grams), room temperature
- 3¼ cups (406 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 grams) crème fraîche, room temperature
- ½ cup (120 grams) brandy
- 2 cups (450 grams) diced peeled Bosc pear (about 2 large pears)
- 1 cup (140 grams) sliced peeled Bosc pear (about 1 large pear)
- Crème Fraîche Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Butter and flour a 15-cup Bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 6 to 7 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add vanilla and salt, beating until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour to butter mixture alternately with crème fraîche and brandy, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently fold in diced pear.
- Arrange sliced pear in bottom of prepared pan. Spoon batter over sliced pear, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour. Loosely cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Pour Crème Fraîche Glaze over cooled cake.
Crème Fraîche Glaze
Makes ¾ cup
- 7 tablespoons (105 grams) crème fraîche, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (21 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) brandy
- In a small bowl, whisk together crème fraîche, confectioners’ sugar, and brandy until smooth.