These fluffy pecan shortcakes are studded with premium pecans from Sunnyland Farms to add crunch and rich, nutty flavor to every buttery bite. Served with fresh peaches and homemade Whipped Cream, this classic summertime sweet is rounded out by a final sprinkling of toasted Sunnyland Farms pecans. For more summer sweets, pick up a copy of our July/August issue!
Pecan Shortcakes with Fresh Peaches and Whipped Cream
Makes 6 shortcakes
- 1 cup (113 grams) chopped Sunnyland Farms Georgia Pecan Halves
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) plus 1 teaspoon
- (4 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ¾ cup (170 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup (180 grams) plus 2 teaspoons (10 grams) cold whole buttermilk, divided
- Peach Filling (recipe follows)
- Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180°C).
- Spread pecans on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pecans are just beginning to color, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and let cool completely. Increase oven temperature to 425° F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons (36 grams) sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Add ½ cup (57 grams) cooled toasted pecans to f1our mixture, stirring to combine. Add¾ cup (180 grams) cold buttermilk, stirring until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough and any remaining f1our mixture onto a lightly f1oured surface, and gently knead 2 to 3 times. Pat dough into a rectangle, 1 inch thick. Cut rectangle into fourths. Stack each fourth on top of each other, and pat into a 1-inch-thick rectangle again. Repeat procedure 3 more times. Pat dough to 1-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter dipped in f1our, cut 4 rounds without twisting cutter, re-patting scraps to get 2 more rounds. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Brush top of dough with remaining 8 teaspoons (10 grams) buttermilk, and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon (4 grams) sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 13 to 16 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack. To serve, finely chop 2 tablespoons (14 grams) of the remaining toasted pecans. Cut shortcakes in half horizontally, and layer with Peach Filling and Whipped Cream. Sprinkle Whipped Cream with finely chopped pecans. Serve with remaining toasted pecans.
Makes about 3 cups
- 3 cups (462 grams) sliced fresh peaches
- (about 3 medium peaches)
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar
- Place peaches in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, and toss to combine. Let stand for 30 minutes.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup (240 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cream at medium speed until slightly thickened. Add sugar, and beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve.