If carrot cake wasn’t already the most satisfying way to get your daily veggies, we’ve upped the game with whole grains, crushed pineapple, and the most select organic extracts and spices from Simply Organic. The icing on both the proverbial and literal cake? A rich cream cheese glaze is naturally sweetened with honey and lightened with creamy Greek yogurt. This spring-inspired dessert is perfect for your Easter spread or anytime you want a flavorful, power-packed treat.
Simply Organic is the obvious choice for a snack cake this delicious and balanced. The vanilla extract that scents both the cake and glaze is made with only authentic, high-quality, and organically grown vanilla beans handpicked by farmer co-ops in Madagascar. Real vanilla contains more than 250 flavor and aroma compounds, adding unmatched depth and flavor that you can’t get with imitation vanilla flavoring. Also, you won’t want to miss the Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon, Ginger, and Nutmeg that add an addictively aromatic spicy-sweet warmth. Each spice is certified organic, thoughtfully sourced, and minimally processed, making Simply Organic spices the highest-quality spices you’ll find on the market.
To learn more about Simply Organic’s best practices and unmatched quality, visit simplyorganic.com and start baking today!
Don’t miss our giveaway with Simply Organic on Instagram! The giveaway includes an autographed Bake from Scratch: Volume Five cookbook, a gift card to Bake from Scratch webstore, and a prize pack from Simply Organic. The giveaway closes on April 2, 2021, and full giveaway details can be found here.
- ¾ cup (165 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (112 grams) refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (62 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1¼ teaspoons (3.75 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) Simply Organic Ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) Simply Organic Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- 1 cup (108 grams) grated peeled carrot
- ⅓ cup (85 grams) drained crushed pineapple
- Cream Cheese-Yogurt Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla at medium-low speed until well combined, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, and baking soda. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating until barely combined. Add carrot and pineapple; beat just until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing into an even layer with a small offset spatula. Tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter a few times to settle batter and release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 26 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread Cream Cheese-Yogurt Glaze onto cooled cake. Garnish with cinnamon, if desired. Serve immediately.
- 6 ounces (170 grams) cream cheese, cubed and room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (63 grams) clover honey
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) full-fat plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1¼ teaspoons (5 grams) Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add honey, yogurt, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth and well combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Use immediately.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing into an even layer with a small offset spatula. Batter will be thick, so make sure to push the batter into each corner of the pan. Tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter a few times to settle batter and release any air bubbles. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 26 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon, spread Cream Cheese-Yogurt Glaze onto cooled cake using a swooping motion. Because of the addition of yogurt and honey, this icing is softer than your average buttercream, creating a snacking cake with an extra-silky topping.
- Garnish with cinnamon, if desired, and serve immediately! Refrigerate leftovers.