We reimagined the classic Southeast Asian pineapple tart as a zingy ginger cookie topped with a ball of spiced, caramelized pineapple jam. As a nod to the original’s elegant stamped shape, we piped these cookies into a mesmerizing swirl. Find more epic thumbprint cookies in our July/August 2019 issue!
Pineapple-Ginger Thumbprint Cookies
About 50 cookies
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 2⅔ cups (333 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking powder
- Pineapple Jam Filling (recipe follows)
Pineapple Jam Filling
- 2 medium pineapples, peeled, cored, and cubed (about 2¼ pounds)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) whole cloves
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well. Beat in fresh ginger and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground ginger, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Transfer about ½ cup dough to a pastry bag fitted with an open star tip (Wilton 1M). Pipe 1½-inch rosettes 3 inches apart on prepared pans, pinching dough with fingers to release. (Spacing these cookies farther apart ensures even heating during baking for better shape.) Repeat with remaining dough, ½ cup at a time.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven; using the handle of a wooden spoon, gently make an indentation in center of each cookie. Top with Pineapple Jam Filling balls. Bake until cookies are light golden, 6 to 8 minutes more. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
Pineapple Jam Filling
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place pineapple; pulse until puréed. Transfer pineapple purée to a large skillet. Add cinnamon stick and cloves; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until most of liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and lemon juice; increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to reduce spattering. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until thick and golden in color, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer pineapple mixture to a bowl. Let cool for 30 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and cloves. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop pineapple mixture by teaspoonfuls (about 7 grams), and shape into balls. Place on prepared pan until ready to use.