This silky dessert is a big step up from your basic pudding—it eats more like the center of a really good chocolate truffle.
Pots de Crème
- 1 (4-ounce) 70% cacao extra bittersweet chocolate baking bar (120 grams), finely chopped
- ½ cup (92 grams) sugar
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons (24 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Chocolate Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°. Place chocolate and sugar in a medium glass bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring half-and-half to a boil. Pour over chocolate, and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in melted chocolate mixture until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass measuring cup.
- Place 4 (4-ounce) custard cups or ramekins in a 13x9-inch baking pan. Add chocolate mixture evenly to each ramekin. Pour hot water in pan halfway up sides of ramekins, making sure not to get water in chocolate mixture.
- Bake until custard centers are slightly set, about 30 minutes. Carefully remove from water. Let cool completely; cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with Chocolate Whipped Cream.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (12 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until fluffy. Serve immediately with Pots de Crème.