Packed with fall’s favorite squash and swirled with bold spices, this Pumpkin Spice Cake is our October Bundt of the Month! Certain to be a perfect way to celebrate this cozy autumn season. Creamy pumpkin is mixed with light brown sugar and vanilla bean paste to create the perfect amount of seasonal sweetness, while sour cream serves to balance and turn up the tang. Whisked into the batter, the sour cream also supplies unmatched moisture, adding richness with the milk fat while also remaining tender-crumbed thanks to the sour cream’s acidity. It packs the flavor and fullness of a pumpkin cheesecake all in a decadent, stir-together batter. The fall-forward spices are trickled throughout the batter, allowing the warm flavors to radiate with each bite. Baked in the Nordic Ware Pumpkin Bundt® Cake Pan, the outside of this amber-colored cake is flawlessly decorated with the charming outline of pumpkins and festive leaves. Brushed with butter and sprinkled with sugar and spice, this fall classic will give you all the cozy feelings.
Looking for more Bundt inspiration? Sign up for the Bundt of the Month Club here and get baking today!
- 1 (15-ounce) can (425 grams) pumpkin (about 1¾ cups)
- 1⅓ cups (293 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (180 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (149 grams) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 2⅓ cups (292 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- Topping (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- For batter: In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, sour cream, oil, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla bean paste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, pie spice, cinnamon, and baking soda. Gradually whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Spray a 10-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter several times to settle batter and release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean and an instant-read thermometer inserted near center registers 200°F (93°C) to 205°F (96°C), 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- For topping: In a small bowl, stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Brush cake lightly with melted butter; cover with sugar mixture, pressing gently to help adhere, if needed. Serve immediately.
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until combined.
Absolutely delicious! Moist and tender with a pleasant balance of spices.
The right amount of batter for the Nordic Ware quartet pan- the four little sharable cakes were ready in 30 minutes. Perfect for dessert, tea, or even breakfast.