Tart blackberries and sweet blueberries converge to make this beautiful summer blackberry-blueberry jam.
Quick Blackberry-Blueberry Jam
Makes 2 cups
- ½ pound fresh blackberries
- ½ pound fresh blueberries
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon, and let stand for 2 hours.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently and mashing berries with a potato masher, until mixture thickens, 20 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 1 hour before transferring to a clean jar. Jam will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
The ripeness of berries can affect the cook time of jam. This jam could take anywhere from 20 minutes for very ripe berries to 45 minutes for less ripe berries. To test your jam for doneness, scrape the bottom of the saucepan with your spoon—if the jam parts for a few seconds, it is ready.