With raspberries mixed into the batter, this upside-down cake is the perfect fruity finale to any summertime meal. Find more loaf pan inspiration in our May/June 2020 issue.
Raspberry-Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Makes 1 (9×5-inch) cake
- ½ cup (113 grams) plus 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted and divided
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) plus ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 5 pineapple rings* (184 grams)
- 4 whole fresh raspberries (8 grams)
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons (12.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk
- 1 cup (130 grams) halved fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray sides of a 9×5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons (42 grams) melted butter and ⅓ cup (73 grams) brown sugar. Pour into bottom of prepared pan, spreading evenly. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer in bottom of pan, trimming slices as needed. Place 1 whole raspberry in center of each pineapple slice, pressing raspberry flat to fill entire hole of pineapple.
- In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, remaining ½ cup (113 grams) melted butter, and remaining ¼ cup (55 grams) brown sugar; whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture in three additions alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, stirring just until combined after each addition. Fold in halved raspberries. Spoon batter onto pineapple rings in pan, smoothing with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes, covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes; carefully invert cake onto a flat serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Wonderful recipes; my fiancé is all about cake!