This is shortcake like you’ve never seen it. For these Roasted Berry Shortcakes, roasting our strawberries maximizes their ripe berry flavor and balances the richness of both the whipped cream and the cakey Buttermilk Bar Doughnuts.
Roasted Berry Shortcakes
Makes 10 shortcakes
- 10 Buttermilk Bar Doughnuts
- Sweetened Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Roasted Berries (recipe follows)
- Cut Buttermilk Bar Doughnuts in half horizontally, and layer with Sweetened Whipped Cream (about ½ cup each) and Roasted Berries (about ¼ cup each). Serve immediately.
Makes about 2½ cups
- 1½ pounds (681 grams) fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 12 ounces (340 grams) fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On prepared pan, toss together strawberries and sugar until combined. Spread strawberries in a single layer. (Use an additional pan, if necessary.)
- Bake for 20 minutes. Add blueberries to pan, and bake until strawberries are very soft and dark in color and fragrant, about 5 minutes more. Let cool completely on pan.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
Makes 5 cups
- 2½ cups (600 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons (60 grams) granulated sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cold cream at medium speed until slightly thickened. Add sugar, and beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve.