Who knew crackers were so simple to make? Plus, you probably have all five of the pantry ingredients on hand already. For robust bitter flavor, choose an IPA-style of beer over the milder pale ale in both the cracker and cheese spread.
India Pale Ale:
Also labeled IPA, these beers have a super-hoppy aroma with addictive bitter and malt qualities. IPAs add a pleasantly strong bitter bite to our Pub Cheese Spread, and hold up to the whole wheat flour in our cracker recipe. We like: Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted Ale, Stone Delicious IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
- 1 cup (140 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (80 grams) whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons (27 grams) toasted sesame seeds
- ¾ teaspoon (4.5 grams) kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon room temperature IPA beer or pale ale beer, divided
- Pub Cheese Spread (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flours, sesame seeds, and salt; pulse until combined. With processor running, slowly add oil. Add ½ cup beer, and process until dough forms a ball, about 20 seconds.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough 2 or 3 times. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll half of dough into a 12-inch square. Using a fluted pastry wheel, cut dough into 2-inch squares. Dock dough all over with the blunt end of a wooden skewer. Lift parchment paper, and place on a large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Lightly brush dough with remaining 1 tablespoon beer, and sprinkle with additional salt.
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating pans once. Let cool completely on pans. Serve crackers with Pub Cheese Spread.
- 1 (8-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ small shallot, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ cup room temperature IPA or pale ale beer
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives
- Garnish: thinly sliced fresh chives
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat Cheddar, shallot, garlic, mustard, and red pepper at low speed until combined. Slowly add beer and chives. Beat at medium-high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 week. Garnish with chives before serving, if desired.