Asha Gomez often says she hails from two souths—southern India and the American south. This savory chicken pie, scented with turmeric and garam masala, beautifully merges the two into one dish.
Spiced Hash Pie
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 4.5 ounces cold butter, cubed
- 3.5 ounces cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 /2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, cooked and lightly smashed
- 1 cup thawed frozen or fresh peas
- 5 large eggs
- For crust: In a mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. With mixer on low speed, add butter, and mix well until it looks pea size, then add cream cheese. Drizzle in cold water until the dough clears the sides of the bowl. Wrap in plastic wrap, and let chill at least 1 hour before rolling. Roll out the crust, and place in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Line with parchment, add pie weights, and blind bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- For filling: In a large skillet, heat oil on a medium flame. Add onion and ginger; sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Add garlic, and stir for another 2 minutes. Add garam masala, turmeric powder, and salt, and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and 1/2 cup water, and stir well so the liquid is mixed well with all the ingredients. Add chicken, and cook on a medium flame for about 15 minutes until all the water evaporates. Add potatoes and peas, and mix well. Stir and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat, and let cool.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, and fold into filling. Pour filling into crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350˚.
Bake from Scratch https://www.bakefromscratch.com/