Double-crusted and jam-packed with strawberries, this pie is delicious with a generous scoop of freshly whipped cream. Find more berries and cream inspiration in our May/June 2020 issue.
Strawberries & Cream Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- Pie Dough (recipe follows), divided
- 6 cups (882 grams) ½-inch-diced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (60 grams) tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons (2 grams) lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water
- Sparkling sugar, for sprinkling
- Vanilla Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: halved fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Spray a 9-inch pie plate with baking spray with flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of Pie Dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to prepared plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim edges to ¼ inch past rim of plate, if necessary.
- In a large bowl, toss together strawberries, granulated sugar, flour, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla bean paste. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into prepared crust.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining Pie Dough into a 12-inch circle. Cut into 1-inch-wide strips. Place 6 dough strips horizontally on pie, spacing evenly apart. Fold back alternating strips, and place 1 dough strip vertically across horizontal strips; unfold folded strips. Fold back alternating horizontal strips, and place another vertical strip across first strips, spacing evenly. Unfold horizontal folded strips and then fold back alternating horizontal strips. Place another vertical strip across first strips, spacing evenly. Unfold horizontal folded strips. Repeat with remaining vertical strips. Press strips into bottom crust, and trim strips even with bottom crust. Fold edges under, and crimp, if desired. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water until smooth. Brush onto prepared crust. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Place pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C), and bake until filling is bubbly in center, 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 35 minutes, covering with foil after 30 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool completely before serving. Serve with Vanilla Whipped Cream. Garnish with halved strawberries, if desired.
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (227 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 to 9 tablespoons (120 to 135 grams) ice water
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add 8 tablespoons (120 grams) ice water in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. (Mixture may appear crumbly. It should be moist and hold together when pinched. Add remaining 1 tablespoon [15 grams] ice water, if needed.) Turn out dough; divide in half (about 386 grams each), and shape into disks. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
Vanilla Whipped Cream
- ½ cup (120 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla bean paste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until soft to medium peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.